How to Internet is a silly question to ask in the 21st century. But believe me, it’s more logical then you think it would have been.
You may surf the internet day in and day out but you are missing the point. Surfing the internet, more doesn’t mean you are using it right. Or getting maximum out of the internet.
Here I’ll talk about 10 most commonly ignored ways of utilizing internet much better or efficiently. These will help you to save money, time, headache and much more…
Let’s jump into the “how to internet” tricks one by one…
1. Use Incognito or Private Mode
Incognito or private modes in web browser help their users save money. Yes, you got it right. Private modes don’t let websites track your visits and prevent price hikes on your repetitive visits.
While booking online tickets (Air, Train or Road) or ordering anything online, it’s a good practice to use incognito mode for price checking or plannings. Once you are sure of your product or booking, you can order or book from the normal mode with your account logged in.
Most of the online websites stores cookies in your web browsers to track your return visits. When you visit more than one time, it’s a clear indication of your strong need, that results in the price hike.
Happy Bookings 🙂
2. Learn the Secret Codes of Google Search
Google has included some tricky solutions into their search engine for a more refined search. Knowledge of these secret tricks will help you find relevant things quickly.
- Double Quotes: search a phrase or term enclosed in double quotes in the google search bar for a refined search of the pages containing exact phrase or term in the same order. Most useful in case of phrase searches. For Example “Incredible India” will only produce pages in search result having incredible India phrase in the same order.
- Minus Sign: minus (-) sign is used to eliminate certain words from the result set of google. For example, jaguar -cat will produce all the results related to the Jaguar having no mention of the cat word.
- site: whenever you want to search a specific website only for a keyword or other purposes, the site keyword is used. For Example, searching dotscreated.com for blogging will be like… blogging site:dotscreated.com
- Define: define keyword is used to get the dictionary meaning of the phrase or term along with. For Example, define: travel will display the meaning of the term travel with pronunciation, usage, synonyms, and antonyms.
- Image Search: image search by google will help you to find related images. In the present scenario, it can be used to find the origin of the fake images shared on social media.
- Translate Quickly: Google allows to translate terms and phrases instantly using a simple search format. Type in your query in google search bar translate [word] to [language] format. For Example: translate “hello” to german will result in Hallo.
- File Type: search using filetype keyword, which will display results related to your query in mentioned format only. For Example filetype:pdf blogging will display results related to blogging having pdf.
3. Youtube Hacks
These youtube hacks will help you to take most out of the largest video sharing website. while watching any video on youtube…
- Replace “youtube” with “listentoyoutube” in the URL followed by the enter from the keyboard to download the audio of the video.
example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcJxXlyRkOg → https://www.listentoyoutube.com/watch?v=xcJxXlyRkOg
- On Replacing “youtube” with “listenonrepeat” in the URL will repeat the video automatically.
- Replace “youtube” with “ssyoutube” in the URL followed by the enter from the keyboard to download the video in any quality available.
- On Replacing “youtube” with “nsfwyoutube” will bypass age restriction.
- Replace “youtube” with “gifyoutube” in the URL to convert video into gif format.
4. Common Keyboard & Mouse Shortcuts for Browsers
Using keyboard shortcuts significantly increases the working speed in browsers. The shortcuts for most common tasks in the browser are almost same for all the browsers.
|Open New Tab||CTRL + T|
|Close the Current Tab||CTRL + W or CTRL+F4|
|Reopen Last Closed Tab||CTRL + SHIFT + T|
|Refresh the Page||F5|
|Reload or Refresh the Page||F5|
|Reload with ignoring cache||CTRL+F5|
|Open search box for the page||CTRL+F or F3|
|Open Developer Tools||F12 (firebug addon required in Firefox)|
|Open source code of the page||CTRL+U (doesn’t work in IE)|
|Closes the Tab||Middle Mouse Click on Tab|
|Open a link in a new background tab||CTRL+Left Click or CTRL+Middle Click|
You can also check this symbol guide using keyboard shortcuts…
5. Use Grammarly Browser Extension
Grammarly is a free writing assistant. It’s as smart as these lines on their website sound, Grammarly makes sure everything you type is clear, effective, and mistake-free.
It will help you out while writing emails, blog posts, messages and with pretty much everything writable on the browser window.
Download their browser extension by visiting their website. The green large button will download and install the extension to your current browser.
6. Use IFTTT to Automate Online Tasks
IFTTT is an online service that connects almost everything between devices, services, and apps. IFTTT expands to IF THIS, THEN THAT after the conditional state of the programming world.
It will help you automate online tasks based on the logical statement if this then that. For a better understanding, here mentioning some of the tasks IFTTT can do for you…
- If a photo is posted on an Instagram account then add that photo to twitter timeline.
- If you publish a post on WordPress blog then share it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.
- Get a notification when the International Space Station passes over your house. 😯
- Automatically sync starred emails in Gmail to Evernote.
- If you make a call on your Android phone, then add the log of that call in a Google spreadsheet.
- Automatically change your Twitter profile pic when you update your Facebook photo.
- when you upload a new public video on YouTube, the link will be posted on your Facebook Page automatically.
and so many more to explore. You can create your customized applet as well.
7. Use LastPass
LastPass is a free password manager that stores encrypted passwords online. It will help you to store all your passwords with some really cool features like autologin on the cloud. As they say, LastPass makes and remembers your passwords, so you don’t have to!
The best things about LastPass is it sync across all the Windows, macOS, Android, iOS devices. Save a password once on the LastPass, and it’s instantly available on all your devices. Also, it’s completely secure and trusted. Even LastPass can’t access your passwords.
You can directly install the browser plugins and mobile apps to your devices and enjoy the comfort of auto-login and not remembering passwords.
Many More Yet to Come. 🙂
I’ll keep updating this space with more tricks and techniques on how to internet. If you have any, post them in the comment section and the best ones will feature in the post with credit to you.